Monday, February 17, 2014

Clafoutis



Clafoutis (French pronunciation: ​[klafuti]; Occitan: clafotís [klafuˈtis / kʎafuˈtiː]), sometimes in Anglophone countries spelled clafouti, is a baked French dessert of fruit, traditionally black cherries,[1] arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter. The clafoutis is dusted with powdered sugar and served lukewarm, sometimes with cream.

A traditional Limousin clafoutis contains pits of the cherries.[2] The pits contain amygdalin, the active chemical in almond extract, so during baking a small amount of amygdalin from the pits is released into the clafoutis, adding a complementary note to its flavor.[3]
Source: Wikipedia



After got back from a quick getaway from Bandung, I was stumbled upon my laziness. Feeling tired after the long traffic of Cipularang tollway, I feel like all my bones are scattered all over me. Freaking tired! I'm a housewife, I don't meet and greet with the traffic jam often. So it shocked me too meet such a condition. We normally needs 3-4 hours driving from Bandung to our house in Karawaci. That time, it took more than 7 hours! The boys also looks miserable. The youngest finally fell asleep, but my eldest who has never take a nap, keep mumbling and grumpy and of course being cranky too! He looked tired but couldn't sleep either. And the next morning, he have assignment at school. He was tried to study when we take a break at some restaurant for dinner and rest our muscles and straightened our legs. But he feels not ready that time. Still, the quick holiday really freshen our memory from our daily mundane lives. 

Anyway, when we visit Lembang, I bought berries from a seller. It was quite cheap, Rp 15,000 for a pack of mixed berries (blackberry and raspberry). So I take 1 pack of mix berries and 1 pack of strawberry. Eventhough I still not sure what to do with it. 

Long story short, the berries are forgotten. It sat nicely on my refrig for almost a week *sigh* until something hit me like a lightning. Omg! I don't want it to be wasted! I stared at the two packs of berries. What to do with it. Muffin? No....Pie? Nope. Jam? Too simple. Ahaaaaa, I decided to make clafoutis! I had the recipe from a friend of mine who lives in France. She normally bake this with cherries, but she also told me it will go pretty well with berries. I guess its the perfect timing to try the recipe. 




What you need : 
250ml uht cream
About 300-350gr of mixed berries
100gr sugar
50gr ground almond
1 heaping table spoon of all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 egg yolk 
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp of almond essence or vanilla 
Butter, to generously smear the pan
Confectioners sugar

HOW TO : 

- Spread all the berries on your smeared baking pan, set aside

- Use one mixing bowl to mix cream, sugar, eggs, almond flour, flour, salt and almond essence. Use balloon whisker and mix it all well. 

 - Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake on your preheat oven, until a skewer or toothpick inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis, about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. 





It is very fortunate for me that my husband don't really enjoy the sourness of the berries. I can have more portion!




2 comments:

  1. Hahahah, kalo yg ini saya nggak begitu ngiler, Mbak. Sama kayak suami, ga begitu sukak buah yg kecut2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihihih, ini juga yg makan cuma aku sama anakku yg kecil. Mmg berries nya kerasa asem sih. Tp kalo buatku krn adonan cream-nya manis, jadi balance rasanya :D

      Delete